The holidays are here and like many people in East Stroudsburg, you’re probably planning to celebrate with delicious food. Eating together with friends and family, indulging in special dishes and treats that we might not enjoy the rest of the year, is how many people mark the winter holidays.
This is all fine and good unless you’re trying to stick with a healthy weight loss program, like many of our clients here at Marshalls Creek Wellness Solutions. Instead of looking forward to the holidays with joy and anticipation, people who are currently enrolled in a weight loss program sometimes view the holidays with dread.
On one hand, they really want to stick with their weight loss program so they can look and feel better, but on the other hand, they don’t want to be the “party pooper” who has to refuse food or constantly be worrying about taking a bite of something that’s not included in their diet.
Here at Marshalls Creek Wellness Solutions, we understand that a successful weight loss program means coming up with effective strategies for your body and mind. That’s why we’ve put together this list of smart eating tips for the holidays. Armed with these tactics, we believe you can navigate your way through the holidays in a way that’s enjoyable but doesn’t ruin your weight loss plans.
Why Are The Holidays So Hard For Weight Loss?
It’s never easy to change your diet and commit to natural weight loss. It’d be much easier to just take a miracle pill that would eliminate your hunger or make you impervious to the siren song of chocolate…or all of the above! Unfortunately, that miracle pill doesn’t exist and so we must find a way to survive our lives with temptations and distractions. During the holidays, these two things are at an all-time high! Between the stress of trying to make things perfect and the expectations of family members we don’t see very often, our willpower is at an all-time low. The holidays are also hard because we want to celebrate, and in many situations that means “letting loose” a little and doing what feels good. Unfortunately, what feels good today can sometime make us feel worse tomorrow!
Don’t Let One Holiday Ruin Your Weight Loss Program
When it comes to sticking with your healthy eating plan during the holidays, moderation is the name of the game. Here are some of our favorite tips for maintaining a weight loss program when all around you are throwing caution to the wind:
- Make A Plan – So many times people walk into a party or family dinner without a plan for how they’ll preserve their clean eating goals. Have a conversation with your significant other about the treats that you’ll try and those you won’t (more on that below), or phone your host ahead of time to let them know you’ll be bringing your own dessert. If you and others are prepared, it will avoid awkward situations during which you feel pressure to abandon your plans.
- Small Scale Indulgences – Eating a bite of pecan pie doesn’t derail your weight loss program. Eating half a pie with a whole can of whipped topping does. This holiday season, subscribe to the “one small bite” rule. This will help you from feeling deprived and make it so you don’t have to refuse treats that are offered.
- Freeze Leftovers – If you’re cooking holiday dinners for your loved ones, we highly recommend freezing leftovers instead of simply sticking them in the fridge. Leaving half of a pie or cake on the counter means you can nibble on it at any time, whereas if it’s in the freezer, it’s out of sight and will take a lot more effort to thaw and eat.
- Stay Hydrated – Many time we interpret our body’s “thirst” for “hunger.” Before you head out to a party or group gathering, make sure you’re fully hydrated. This will help you to feel fuller and make it easier to say “no thank you” to things that aren’t allowed by your weight loss program.
- Pop A Piece Of Gum – After the meal is over and you’ve decided that you don’t want to eat anymore, put a piece of gum or a mint in your mouth. Doing so is a lot like brushing your teeth, and you’ll be more reluctant to eat again after your mouth feels fresh and clean.
Our Natural Weight Loss Programs Can Help You Start The Year Right!
Whether your last diet failed or you’re just looking for a way to make your New Year’s resolutions stick this time, contact Marshalls Creek Wellness Solutions in East Stroudsburg now!