At Marshalls Creek Wellness Solutions, we focus on more than just your spinal health. Through various services and exercises, we make it our goal to improve the overall health and wellness of all of our patients. However, chiropractic adjustments can do a lot more than just alleviate pain. While millions of people around the world experience relief from chiropractic treatments, many people are still unsure about all that a chiropractor can offer. Today, we’d like to take a moment to discuss 7 surprising facts about the chiropractic field.
- Chiropractic adjustments can be beneficial for ALL ages: many elderly patients benefit from chiropractic adjustments because it can help with everything from pain relief to increasing range of motion. On the other hand, infants often experience spinal misalignments from passing through the birth canal. Chiropractors can examine and adjust newborns, toddlers, and school children to help promote a healthy spine as they grow.
- That popping sound isn’t your bones cracking: Some people have a fear of going to the chiropractor because they are afraid that whatever making that “popping” sound during an adjustment is going to hurt. It is a common misconception that the sound made during an adjustment are your bones cracking or rubbing against each other, but it is actually almost the opposite. During a chiropractic adjustment, your spine momentarily stretches. When this happens, small pockets of air bubbles that rest in the fluid around your spinal joints pop, creating that expected cracking sound.
- Pregnant women can, and should, see a chiropractor: Pregnancy is often associated with various aches and pains, but what causes them? Most likely, these pains are due to improper pelvic alignment causing lower back pain. In order to keep the fetus as healthy as possible, many expecting mothers do not use pain medications because of their potential to affect the baby, so many pregnant women turn to chiropractic adjustments to help balance their pelvis.
- Chiropractors do a lot more than adjust your back: Many chiropractors specialize in more than just adjusting your spine. They also can give advice on nutrition and healthy eating tips, fitness, and lifestyle. At Marshalls Creek Wellness Solutions, we specialize in chiropractic treatment, but also focus on physiotherapy, massage therapy, weight loss programs, and allergy alleviation. In general, chiropractic classroom curriculum often includes neurology, microbiology, pathology, physiology/psychiatry, gynecology, and diagnosis. Because of this wide scope of education, doctors of chiropractic medicine are authorized to serve as health care officers in the armed forces.
- Chiropractic adjustments can help your immune system: It is believed that regular chiropractic adjustments may increase the production of immune regulating complexes that help your immune system defend against disease. This was first discovered during the deadly flu pandemic during 1917-1918. Chiropractors noticed that their patients were not dying from the flu as often as the general public. When they analyzed their data, they found that the estimated death rate due to influenza was around 6% for the general public, and only about .25% for those who received spinal adjustments.
- A chiropractic adjustment helped a deaf man hear: Chiropractic medicine was developed by a man named Daniel David Palmer. Palmer realized that forms of spinal manipulation had been used for thousands of years, but no one had put a scientific explanation behind the craft. Palmer performed what is believed to be the first official chiropractic adjustment in 1895 on a janitor who had been deaf for 17 years. According to the janitor, he felt something “give” in his back and immediately lost his hearing. Palmer felt a dislodged vertebrae in the man’s back and after a good shove, supposedly put it back in place, after which the janitor reported increased hearing abilities.
- Chiropractic medicine is the fastest growing healthcare field: Currently, there are around 77,000 practicing chiropractors in the US, and about 10,000 chiropractic students enrolled in chiropractic doctoral programs. Around 35 million Americans visit chiropractic offices each year, and that number is expected to continue to grow.
If you are tired of searching “chiropractor near me” on Google and finding clinics that do not focus on overall wellness, look no further than Marshalls Creek Wellness Solutions. We act as a chiropractic clinic, wellness clinic, physiotherapy clinic, and more. Come see your friendly East Stroudsburg chiropractor today, and start experiencing the benefits of overall health and wellness.